Wednesday 7 October 2009

A 50 year-old jigsaw


First job: assess the damage. Enter my friend Alan Sealey, a long time contributor to Classic Bike and Brit bike boffin. He rolled up the other night on his orange metalflake 750 Commando and, powered by nothing more than tea and a desire to see good done, inspected the stricken A50.

I would like to say I helped, but I didn't. Seven weeks after the crash my torn rotator cuff still doesn't even look like working. The legs, however, are more or less OK (the pic, included for purely voyeuristic reasons, shows them a few days after the event).

The full horror is thus:

New parts needed:
Switchgear
Clutch lever and clamp
Cowhorn handlebars, as preferred by owner Fee
Headlamp brackets and shell
Fork stanchions
Seat cover
Left footrest
Petrol tank
Sidepanel and front mudguard repaint

Check:
Yokes

Advisable:
Steering damper and lockstops

Alan has plenty of ideas about where to get this stuff. First stop is the autojumble at the Stafford show on October 17th.

1 comment:

  1. Steering Damper !?!? I thought that was what the cow horns were for.

    ReplyDelete